Houston Dynamo 1, Nashville SC 3 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
Hany Mukhtar and Abu Danladi led the way in an action-packed first half. Mukhtar opened the scoring in the 15th minute, taking an incisive Danladi pass, blowing past Kiki Struna, and marauding into the goalmouth for the finish. Four minutes later, Danladi put his head on a pinpoint Taylor Washington cross to make it 2-0. Then, four minutes after that, Mukhtar set up for a free kick and froze Dynamo goalkeeper Marko Maric for his second and Nashville's third.
Dynamo head coach Tab Ramos responded by swapping in Tomas Martinez for Darwin Ceren in just the 25th minute. While that move seemed to spark the offense, it didn't result in goals. Some chances before and after halftime came courtesy of Dynamo attackers Mauro Manotas and Ariel Lassiter, but they weren't able to get anything past former Houston 'keeper Joe Willis.
Jhonder Cadiz made his MLS debut in the 70th minute, and nearly got his first MLS goal several minutes in by going 1v1 with Maric. But Darwin Quintero scored going the other way in the 75th minute to give Houston some hope. However, that's how the scoreline wrapped up.
- 15' – NSH – Hany Mukhtar | WATCH
- 19' – NSH – Abu Danladi | WATCH
- 23' – NSH – Hany Mukhtar | WATCH
- 75' – HOU – Darwin Quintero | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Nashville remains in playoff position in the East, getting another crucial win in what's only the team's second match with multiple goals all season. If the season ended today, by contrast, Houston would be outside of the West playoff picture, possibly pointing fingers at a defense that just passed the 30-goals-allowed mark.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Danladi's goal proved to be the match-winner, but Mukhtar's free kick goal was arguably the decisive moment in the match, allowing Nashville to build an insurmountable (and demoralizing) lead.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Even though he was pulled at halftime, Mukhtar did enough within just a single half of play to merit the nod here.